Friday, October 19, 2007

How much would you spend on your pet?

Last Thursday I noticed that one of my two cats, Mary, was acting in an unusual manner. She was following me around, meowing like she was in distress, and vigorously scratching her left ear. To the point of her cutting herself and getting a healthy bleed on. I got her to stop scratching, but her leg kept on twitching, and in the end she just yowled in distress more.

I set an appointment for the next day with the vet, went in...and found that it was a damn earwax build up. All told the trip cost me 120 clams, but I was instructed to bring the cat back next week. It seems that since she hadn't had a vet visit in who knows how long, she was due for a couple of vaccinations according to the Commonwealth of Virginia. One week later I am informed that she needs ear ointment(because the ear medicine I was giving seems to have irritated her ear, go fig) as well as two vaccines. That was another 130 clams.

Now, if she needed a $1,000 dollar operation, or more, I probably would have still came up with the money. It just perturbs me that I'm getting hammered on what I suspect was a simple problem and solution. The cat is back to her normal, anti-social self, at least.

No comments: